[CentOS] OT: linux desktop market share more than 1%

Thu Oct 7 18:15:15 UTC 2010
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 10/7/2010 12:52 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Bill Campbell wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 07, 2010, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>>> Benjamin Franz wrote:
>>> '98. But it's starting to have a visible presence, thanks to Vista.
>>>
>>>        mark "both hands on the gun, point at foot, fire!"
> <snip>
>> I have gone from OpenDesktop on SCO in the early '90s to Linux from 1996
>> or so to OS X shortly after it came out.  The vast majority of my
> development
>> is on Linux servers, but OS X Just Works(tm), and I don't have to be
>> constantly fiddling to get tools working.
>
> Of course, mo$t Mac $oftware comes with the Mac, and is all vetted by
> Apple. You might as well say the same for a plain vanilla Windows box.
> <snip>

Except that you couldn't reasonably say Windows 'just works' for
anything before XP, SP2 - or for vista.

> I run CentOS both at home and work, but I put Ubuntu on my netbook, just
> because they have a remix just for HP netbooks. *shrug* It mostly just
> works.

Current OS versions are 'good enough' for most purposes.  What matters
is specific application availability, particularly if you need to
exchange data with someone else in non-standard formats.  And now that
computers don't cost $10,000 each anymore, a lot of people will have
several.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com