[CentOS] OT: linux desktop market share more than 1%

Fri Oct 8 22:10:09 UTC 2010
Jake Shipton <jakems at hotmail.co.uk>

On 08/10/10 21:50, Brunner, Brian T. wrote:

> Too long, don't read.  It's mostly YMMV (religious) anyways.
>
>> The main thing about Linux that is 'hard' is the fact that
>> you have to use your brain and make choices:
>> Which web browser?
>
> We have this same question under Windows.  My answer is "all of them,
> why not?"
> Some of the web sites I have need to visit only work on Internet
> Exploder (ms update), some only work on FireFox (my favorite game site),
> many are only tolerable in Opera because of *their* addiction to flash
> hits *my* allergy to flash.  Opera's content blocking is a God-Send.
>
>> Which office suite?
>
> Unfortunately all of them fail at full compatibility with MSWorks;
> that's the Gold Standard.
>
>> Which email client?
>
> This is not trivial.  Content compatibility with Office and other "of
> course you want embedded content in email" senders is a field of study
> in itself. My email client (Forte Agent) is horrible at handling
> embedded content.  I'm also almost never bothered by trojans such as
> have clobbered my kids' and wife's systems (1 in 10 years, and that was
> when my son 'borrowed' my system).
>
>> Which desktop?
>
> Which one is most like WinXP?  This is the question that keeps Linux off
> of desktops.
> Retraining people to a different way to drive is non-trivial also.
>
>> Which Linux distro?
>
> Why is there more than one?
> A Century ago there were ZILLIONS of things for chest
> colds/flu/pneumonia/bronchitis.  In 1955 there were like 3... Sulfa,
> penicillin, and erythromycin.  What happened to the others?  They didn't
> work, so as soon as something came along that just worked, the others
> turned to dust of no more than historical value.  Today there are a
> zillion flavors/distributions of Linux ... And one flavor of Windows.
> It tastes terrible until compared to the competition (speaking in behalf
> of everybody I personally know).
>
>> For lots of people this is way too much work.
>
> Or it's too much work for their boss or their spouse (but I repeat
> myself) ... Many/most people don't play with computers for a hobby OR
> for a job, they want it to Just Work so they can get their work/play
> DONE.  If I could find a version of Linux that Just Worked for my
> machine, my wife's machine, and our software suites, I'd jump.
>
>> I guess if these
>> people looked at, say, cars or clothes the same way they
>> looked at computers, they would ALL be driving boring black
>> Chevys or would have a closet with 100 black suits, 100 black
>> ties, 100 white shits, etc.  (Well maybe 100 black T shirts
>> and 100 pairs of jeans.)
>
> NOT.  They'd all be wearing something they pull off a hanger in a store,
> or drive off a lot, utterly dependent on some foreign manufacturer's
> sense of fashion and function.  Oh, wait ...
>
> If clothes were like Linux ... Think artfully/randomly placed patches of
> [...]
You do have some points there I'll admit. However, for a few things
you've mentioned are actually slowly (but surely) being solved.

Lets take Wine for example (The application, not the drink).

For many years it's always essentially been "The Program will work...
However, you may need to put on this dll override, disable alsa enable
pulseaudio, make program run in a virtual desktop and apply a No-CD
patch etc (Depending on the program)" now for many people this could be
far to complicated and make them just say "You know what? stuff it I'll
just go use Windows"

But we now have an application called "PlayOnLinux" which is handy for
new users (or experienced, saved me a bunch of time.. lol) which
essentially is the "click and go" what their used to, and for
experienced users it still allows you to install anything and manually
edit settings. However, wine still doesn't make all "Windows" programs
work sadly.

But that leads to the other problem of installing applications.. most
people don't (want to) know how to open up a terminal, and run commands
to go install a package, or grab it from a URL import the gpg key of the
repository etc. They want to just click it, click next a few times and
be done with it (Like everything on Windows).

But, if you check out recent Fedora's that's almost possible, though
still requested to enter password, but I think that's a *good* thing.

But (Jeez, I could call this the "But" email..) we have yet another
problem as previously mentioned.. Choices Choices Choices, how do you
make so many choices? As you said, most people just want it to "work"
and be done with it. But technically a default install of a Linux
distribution do "Just work" minus various codecs and sometimes hardware
driver issues. But, you can't tell me, that on *every* windows machine,
no ones ever had to go hunt down drivers for their hardware and install
them (or use a provided CD) I know I have before (ever tried that with a
machine with a Network adapter driver not detected, and no spare machine
at the time? :| not fun)

Same thing with Linux sometimes, and on Windows not *all* programs are
pre-installed and ready to go, for example, you can't go out, buy
Windows 7, and start using office applications, you got to then go out
and buy MS Office, and install it your self, essentially the same thing
with Linux (Except you got to use OO.o, wine or whatever suits your
preference)

Now, codecs is a common issue people find with Linux and the common
question is "Why doesn't MP3 just work like on Windows?!" but contrary
to popular belief, MP3 doesn't just "Always work" on Windows like they
claim, I had a virtual machine, that had no Network connection
what-so-ever, I put a MP3 on it to test, guess what? it had no MP3
codec, going through the settings I found an option "Download Codecs on
first run" or something to that extent, which means they wasn't included
with the OS (WinXP SP3) which isn't that different from Linux, except
you got to add repository's and install a whole bunch of programs. That
I do agree is a slight problem for new comers, maybe someday it will be
fixed, but I doubt it.

As for things being updated "too often" this is where the "EL" class of
OS's come in.. (albeit the EL series is quite old now and is missing
quite a lot of new stuff, that is till EL6 gets here) but in a way I
like my OS to be updated more often, as I like having the latest
features and what not :-). Personal preference there though.

But personally, I don't think Linux is for everybody, nor will it ever be.

People aren't willing to learn, and this is where the problem lies when
it comes to OS migration, that and the fact we tend to "get used" to
things, and it becomes what we're used to, and we don't want it to
change. Compared to a Linux from pre-2000 Linux is a *lot* more user
friendly now also.

The other problem people have, is that when they try Linux they tend to
go with an attitude of subconsciously wanting it not to work so they can
say it's crap and go back to Windows..

But it's far from perfect. Give it another 5 years and I personally
think Linux will be easy enough for "most" people to use.

After-all if my 75 year old Grandma is quite happily using a machine I
set up for her with Fedora 12, it can't be THAT hard, as she doesn't
know squat about computers (Mainly music, card games & email is all she
uses) :-)

As for Market Share.. I threw in my vote.. I personally am not to
worried about market shares of Linux. We are not a Corporation or
Company.. so why should it matter? :-|

Anyhow, just my 2p :-)
PS: Sorry for the short email, in a rush. :-)
--
Jake