[CentOS] Was, Re: Radeon HD 4550 driver, is nVidia drivers

Fri Oct 8 22:30:05 UTC 2010
Nicolas Thierry-Mieg <Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at imag.fr>

m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Akemi Yagi wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 1:00 PM, James A. Peltier<jpeltier at sfu.ca>  wrote:
>>
>>>   You can also use the nVidia driver package as part of rpmforge or
>>>   rpmfusion which uses DKMS to build the driver for you on each reboot.
>>
>> You don't have to build for each kernel update if you use kernel
>> version independent, kABI-tracking kmod packages from ELRepo:
>>
>> http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-nvidia
>>
>> The DKMS version of Nvidia driver at rpmforge is not being actively
>> maintained and will be deprecated in favor of kmods.
>
> Um, has anyone successfully set up a twin-headed machine with the oss
> driver for nvidia? With a second screen beside the first (sorry, monitor 1
> to the right of monitor 0<g>), not duplicating the first monitor?
>
>          mark "why do you *think* I'm using the proprietary one?"

the elrepo driver (and the old rpmforge dkms, which is deprecated in
favor of the elrepo kABI-independant version) *is* the proprietary driver.
check it out and *then* complain if it doesn't work, I doubt that will
happen  :-)