[CentOS] OT: linux desktop market share more than 1%

Sat Oct 9 01:30:00 UTC 2010
John Jasen <jjasen at realityfailure.org>

On 10/08/2010 06:25 PM, Warren Young wrote:
> On 10/8/2010 4:09 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> But OS X can legally only run on Apple (tm$$$) systems, where Linux can
>> run on *anything* and anybody's inexpensive hardware.
>
> Apple hardware is fairly priced when compared on quality.  Yes, there
> are cheap POS PCs that compare favorably on features with Apple hardware
> at a lower cost.  I've used many such.  They often break more readily,
> or fail to satisfy on some other level.  There's more to a PC than spec
> list.

Apple has not had a rigorous hardware quality control for several years
now. At least since the G5 days.

On a commercial level, dealing with dozens or hundreds of them, the
failure rate can be double that of Dell systems. At least from what I've
seen. And Apple's hardware support is useless.

The high quality Apple that costs 3x as much is using the same
components as the el-cheapo laptop next to it. Heck, they might be made
in the same factory!

--
-- John E. Jasen (jjasen at realityfailure.org)
-- "Deserve Victory." -- Terry Goodkind, Naked Empire