[CentOS] OT: linux desktop market share more than 1%

Sat Oct 9 01:52:18 UTC 2010
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org>

On Fri, 2010-10-08 at 19:21 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 10/8/10 5:55 PM, Warren Young wrote:
> > On 10/8/2010 4:40 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> >> On 10/8/2010 5:25 PM, Warren Young wrote:
> > I think the explanation is different: they tried for a few years to drum
> > up support for FB on Linux, too few customers showed up, so they decided
> > to refocus on the two platforms that do make them money.
> Probably everyone using this tool will have Windows and Macs to test their
> output anyway.  If you have that, why work on a platform where you have to fight
> against the kernel to get a working video driver and against the distribution to
> get a working java?

I'm sorry your software stinks so bad;  but I have no issues with video
drivers and Java on LINUX is ubiquitous.

> > Y'all may recall a different example: Word Perfect was also once offered
> > on Linux for about a year, then pulled.  OpenOffice wasn't even around
> > at the time, so you can't blame competition.  Corel had a near open
> > field to play in, and still couldn't make a buck.
> Did you ever try that product?

Yes, I used it for years.  It certainly wasn't awesome, but it was very
serviceable.