[CentOS] OT: linux desktop market share more than 1%

Sat Oct 9 12:39:25 UTC 2010
Ben McGinnes <ben at adversary.org>

On 9/10/10 11:12 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:

> XBox is a gaming console, not an operating system. You cannot install it on a
> generic PC hardware.
>
> Besides, AFAIK XBox's OS was based on WinNT and WinXP, not the 95/98/ME.

It's been quite a few years since I looked at any of this so I might be
wrong, but the changes between Win98 and WinME were building towards the
project which eventually became the XBox.  Things like improving the
graphics support in ME, but stripping down (and generally messing up)
the TCP/IP stack.  Then that got folded into a fork of WinNT 5.x
(Windows 2000 = NT 5.0 and XP = NT 5.1).

Not that I cared, I'd already been using Slackware for years before ME
was released.

As for the XBox itself, yes the OS is customised for that kind of gaming
platform, but it's still just a PC.  It's not even a particularly
powerful one.  This page has the specs for the XBox:

http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Getting_Started#3

Regards,
Ben