[CentOS] OT: linux desktop market share more than 1%

Sun Oct 10 12:45:36 UTC 2010
Ben McGinnes <ben at adversary.org>

On 10/10/10 11:31 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:

> /me shrugs. Yeah, maybe I better start saying Illumos and yelling use
> OpenIndiana, a distro which uses Illumos.

It'll only be an option for x86/x86-64 and with the move to using
Fujitsu UltraSPARC chips that contain patented technology which can only
be addressed using binary modules in the Solaris kernel.  OpenBSD has
already run into that wall and Theo was told where to go in no uncertain
terms.

> Sun is so dead.

I guess that makes Oracle a necrophiliac.

> If you want a desktop os without binary driver issues, this is it.
> Although I'd say a fair few use it for other purposes. If you have
> analog Thrustmaster FLCS, TQS, RCS gear and MIDI keyboards, just endure
> Linux for the time being. :-p

Poke at these things long enough and you realise that *all* software
sucks, some just sucks less than others.  ;)

Regards,
Ben