[CentOS] recommended way to install source rpms?

Sun Oct 10 22:58:14 UTC 2010
Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010, Frank Cox wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-10-10 at 17:56 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   so, is that reasonable?  to just manually add an extra repo file
> > according to that link above (which appears to work perfectly
> > well).
>
> In my opinion, in most cases there is no particularly good reason to
> bother compiling a source rpm yourself unless it's something that's
> not already in a repository.

  but no one is suggesting that you always want to *compile* a source
rpm.  perhaps you just want to examine the source, or do a prep, or
something.

  more to the point, it's a little disturbing that the general
attitude here seems to be one of, "we don't think you should be doing
something, so we're not going to tell you how to do it."  and some
people here wonder why others might want to write their own online
centos howtos rather than contribute to centos.org?  geez, feel free
to stop wondering.

  if it makes it easier, perhaps that wiki page could be retitled
something more general, such as "working with source rpms."  then it
could cover simple repo setup and downloading and, with a suitable
warning, also cover building.  but it's a little high-handed to not
explain how to do something because you've decided it's not something
you want *others* to know.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca