[CentOS] recommended way to install source rpms?

Mon Oct 11 05:30:42 UTC 2010
Ben McGinnes <ben at adversary.org>

On 11/10/10 10:44 AM, ken wrote:

> Alternatively, you could also check out Slackware.

In my opinion Slackware is still the best distribution for actually
learning about GNU/Linux.  I'm a little biased, though, I've been
running it since 4.0 (and had accounts on other systems running it prior
to that).

> The last time I
> looked at it (several years ago) it didn't use rpm or apt or any package
> management system at all, just tgz files.

Recently that's changed to .txz for the greater level of compression,
but oterwise it's the same.  Pkgtool is really simple and straight forward.

> This is what Linux used to be
> before there was a redhat... and it's generally how code files are
> handled in development before they become rpms... or whatever.

Slack is great because of its strong adherance to the KISS principle.

> Source code shouldn't scare anyone.  It's interesting stuff and
> harmless... just text files, after all.  If your students are going to
> hack around with it and compile it (which I would hope they would do),
> then of course you'll want to take appropriate measures.

Yep.  I still don't see why some people are so afraid of:

./configure [options]
make
make install
[make clean]

If it doesn't work it will tell you.

Regards,
Ben

--
Ben McGinnes  http://www.adversary.org/  Twitter: benmcginnes
    Systems Administrator, Writer, ICT Consultant