[CentOS] using a Laptop as a KVM console?

Wed Oct 13 17:51:29 UTC 2010
Giles Coochey <giles at coochey.net>

  On 13/10/2010 19:31, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Has anyone seen something like this before:
>
> I want to use a laptop as a KVM console. Basically when a technician
> goes to one of our datacentres, or clients he has to look for a free
> LCD, keyboard&  mouse to connect to a server (no network access,
> reinstall, troubleshoot failed kernel / HDD, etc). And then hopefully
> there's an open power socker in that cabinet.
>
> So I'm thinking why not just use a laptop instead? It already has an
> LCD, keyboard, mouse&  power. Surely someone has, or may still, build
> something that could connect to the laptop's USB port(s) and then to
> the server's VGA&  USB / PS2 ports, then act as a KVM?

Many servers have network console capability these days. HP's iLO
(Integrated Lights Out) and Dell's DRAC functions.

You can just boot up the laptop, connect a network cable to the iLO port
and the Laptop, set the IP, and use a browser to get a Java application
that includes a console (OS independant).
Most medium to large scale datacenter deployments will have a seperate
management network to which these iLO and DRAC systems are constantly
connected to for OOB management.