[CentOS] Not receiving mail

Sun Oct 17 23:46:56 UTC 2010
Ryan Wagoner <rswagoner at gmail.com>

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 6:39 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have installed Postfix, Dovecot, and Squirrelmail on a CentOS 5.5
> machine. In Squirrelmail a user can send mail, but he is not receiving
> replies. There is nothing relevant in the maillog other than the
> user's (successful) login attempts. I am at  loss, I have been
> following tutorials such as the Perfect Server [1] series and other
> Google results, but I cannot get this thing to receive mail. What
> should I be checking?
>
> Thanks!
>

> [1] http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-centos-5.5-x86_64-ispconfig-2
>
> --
> Dotan Cohen

You will want to check your DNS and try to telnet to the server. If
your server is behind NAT or you run split-dns it would be advisable
to try it from another connection.

dig mx yourdomain.com
telnet smtp.yourdomain.com 25

Of course if your mx record points to something other than
smtp.yourdomain.com you will want to use that instead.

Ryan