[CentOS] CentOS 5.5 hangs on Acer Veriton X498G

Fri Oct 22 20:05:20 UTC 2010
R P Herrold <herrold at owlriver.com>

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010, Paul Ortega wrote:

> I have installed CentOS 5.5 (2.6.18-194.17.1.el5PAE) on a number of Acer
> Veriton X498G desktop computers.  They seem to randomly hang when nobody
> is logged in at the console, i.e. I notice a hanged computer but have
> not heard complaints about computers hanging while a user was at the
> keyboard.
>
> The symptoms are:
> 	Blank screen.
> 	Power LED on.
> 	Network LED blinking.
> 	No response to keyboard or mouse.
> 	No response to ping.
> 	Arp request from computer on same subnet gets "incomplete" for MAC address.
> 	Cannot ssh into computer, "no route to host" error message.

This is all consistent with a non-listening NIC and a unit in
profound hibernation, if not affirmative shutdown [NIC lights
will be powered on and blink by stray ARP broadcast packets
moving across a lan, even on switched fabric]

> Has anyone else seen similar?

as above ... I

  would set up remote syslogging from the unit under test, and
see exercise (through keyed ssh access) that unit under test
on a scripted basis, to see if it dies off if left alone, or
if other clues appear in that remote syslog

-- Russ herrold