[CentOS] CentOS 5.x on Geode LX

Wed Oct 27 18:31:38 UTC 2010
Tim Nelson <tnelson at rockbochs.com>

Greetings all-

I'm currently working with CentOS 5.x (various version 5.0 - 5.5) attempting to run it on a system based on the AMD Geode LX CPU. There are known issues with this CPU running Centos 5, specifically those listed here:

http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2552

The kernel and system run fine on the Geode LX, but the installer detects the CPU as i586. Since there is no i586 kernel package available, the installer dies. I've attempted the workaround here:

http://lists.baseurl.org/pipermail/yum-devel/2009-August/005767.html

It basically tells anaconda the CPU arch is i686. I extracted the stage2.img, updated the specified files, then recreated the squashfs image. But, it still does not work. Apparently this works on Fedora...

So, does anyone have any thoughts on getting CentOS 5.x to install on a Geode LX?

Tim Nelson
Systems/Network Support
Rockbochs Inc.
(218)727-4332 x105