[CentOS] how long to reboot server ?

Tim Nelson tnelson at rockbochs.com
Thu Sep 2 17:18:35 UTC 2010

----- "mcclnx mcc" <mcclnx at yahoo.com.tw> wrote:
> we have CENTOS 5 on DELL servers.  some servers have longer than one
> year did not reboot.  Our consultant suggest we need at least reboot
> once every year to clean out memory junk.
>
> What is your opinion?

If you're running a Windows server, yes, a period reboot is necessary to 'clean it out'. However, in Linux land, this is not typically necessary as a 'rule'. You could certainly be running applications with memory leaks or other special circumstances that warrant a clean boot.

I have several Linux boxes running a variety of flavors including CentOS, Debian, and even Redhat (think old 8.x/9.x days) with uptimes ranging between 13 months to over two years. They're running perfectly without the 'yearly reboot'.

--Tim