[CentOS] how long to reboot server ?

Brian Mathis brian.mathis at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 17:27:22 UTC 2010

Uptime is no longer a badge of honor.  Typically there will have been
some kernel updates that require a reboot, so a long uptime means they
haven't been applied.  Also, it is a good idea to reboot periodically
to catch anything that was not set up to start on boot correctly.  A
server should always cleanly start up with all services it needs
without the need for human intervention.

As for "memory junk", yes and no.  This would again be related to
updates.  If there are long running processes that have since had
updates or updates to shared libraries, they may not be using the
updated libraries.  It would also reset anything that might have a
memory leak.  However, the idea of "junk" collecting in RAM That needs
to be cleaned is not really true.