[CentOS] ip aliasing on bonded interface possible?

Steve Thompson smt at vgersoft.com
Mon Sep 6 20:17:49 UTC 2010

On Sun, 5 Sep 2010, Robert Arkiletian wrote:

> Has anyone successfully created a bonded interface (bond0) with say
> two nics AND also then aliased that interface to get bond0 and bond0:1
> (for an alias ip)
>
> I just want to know if it's possible and reliable

Yes to both. I have been doing this for about four years now on various
versions of CentOS. The one thing you need to watch out for is the same as
when not using aliases - that eth0 (etc) always comes up as eth0, and
doesn't get renumbered. Solve this with HWADDR lines in ifcfg-eth0 (etc).
Otherwise it is solid.

Steve