[CentOS] Traffic shaping on CentOS

Giles Coochey giles at coochey.net
Fri Sep 10 08:54:22 UTC 2010

On Fri, September 10, 2010 05:51, Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
> I've been trying to do traffic shaping on one of my public servers and
> after reading up, it seems like the way to do so is via tc/htb.
> However, most of the documentation seems at least half a decade old
> with nothing new recently.
>
> Furthermore, trying to get documentation on tc filters turned up a
> blank. man tc refers to a tc-filters (8) but trying to man that gives
> a no such page/section error. Googling on this seems to imply that the
> documentation was never created. The author also seems to have stop
> updating his blog/company site since 2007 based on the last login date
> on netherlabs.nl
>
> So I'm wondering is tc the current and recommended method for traffic
> shaping on CentOS or is there some newer method that has superceded
> it?

I bought this book a long time ago
http://www.amazon.com/Policy-Routing-Using-Linux-Professional/dp/0672320525

I have to say it helped me a lot - even if it is quite antiquated.

Unfortunately, online / up to date information and documentation for Linux
in general is pretty scarce, particularly distribution-centric
documentation. The reason for this is that developers tend to hate
documentation and Linux itself is a moving target - documentation needs
constant updating.

I wonder how many people would pay for good documentation?