[CentOS] OT: sendmail access

Richard Gliebe richard.gliebe at fhv.at
Sun Sep 12 05:42:41 UTC 2010

On 9/12/10 7:11 AM Lonnie Maynard wrote:
> Richard,

Hi Lonnie,

> The safest way to do this is to enable and configure SMTP AUTH. This is
> based on SASL, and you'll need to yum list "*cyrus-sasl*" to see the
> packages you need. You can use plain text auth over starttls and the
> user can then authenticate with their username and password securely. If
> you don't use starttls, you'll need a more secure authorization mechanism.
>
> This will allow the user to authenticate and relay mail no matter what
> IP address or network they are accessing your server from. Here's a link
> for more information.
>
> http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/auth.html

many thanks for your reply.

OK. I've set up cyrus-sasl.

cyrus-sasl.x86_64
2.1.22-5.el5_4.3                                                  installed

and created a new entry for one of our Users with "saslpasswd2".

[root at mail mail]# telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1).
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mail.ourdomain.at ESMTP Sendmail 8.13.8/8.13.8; Sun, 12 Sep 2010
07:41:14 +0200
ehlo localhost
250-mail.ourdomain.at Hello tfefw1.tfe.local [127.0.0.1], pleased to
meet you
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE
250-DSN
250-ETRN
250-DELIVERBY
250 HELP

Now I need the right sendmail.cf entries for SASL-AUTH (we don't work
with *.mc Files or similar. We directly edit the sendmail.cf files ;-)

many thanks
Richard