[CentOS] Transferring system to new drive

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Tue Sep 14 13:39:07 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 09:03:13AM -0400, Robert Heller wrote:

> > Is there a document with instructions for this?
> > I've had smartd warnings that a hard disk in my server is sick,
> > so I am installing a new drive (in addition to the old).
> >

> Here is an article I wrote about doing this:
>
> http://www.deepsoft.com/2009/01/how-to-transfer-a-linux-system-from-one-disk-to-another/

As someone who came from FreeBSD, dump restore was always considered
best there.  Hoewver, I've heard (though not deeply investigated), that
due to various things in the Linux kernel, dump restore isn't the best
approach for Linux, and there will be metadata loss.  DISCLAIMER--this
isn't something I've really looked into, however last time I was going
to do it, I saw enoughw warnings about it to make me look for another
method.  If Robert has been doing it successfully, then, chances are
he's right.  (Perhaps these changes in the Linux kernel are newer than
the CentOS kernel.)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6