[CentOS] Transferring system to new drive

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Tue Sep 14 13:39:52 UTC 2010

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Could you offer a precise command for copying the system
> from / to /mnt/hd , say?
> Would one exclude /dev or /proc , for example?

I've not updated this in years nor for a 2.6 kernel and
grub, but the process is basically unchanged:
 	http://www.owlriver.com/tips/rsync-cookbook/

The only changes would be to manually make ./proc, ./sys, and
./dev  on the target device, to either run a recovery CD or
grub at the command line to get the boot loader right
[remember to edit /boot/grub/grub.conf ], and make sure the
new /etc/fsttab matches your partitioning scheme

-- Russ herrold