[CentOS] using NUT on centos 5

fred smith

fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Tue Sep 14 15:18:15 UTC 2010

Hi!

Trying to set up NUT on Centos 5 to monitor a CyberPower 1500AVR UPS.

There seem to be many documents, all of which seem to be not fully consistent
with each other, and most of them aren't up to date.

I'm guessing I should be using udev rather than hal, but I'm somewhat
stumped on how to figure out what device it should be monitoring. there
are a bunch of udev rules installed (in /lib/udev/rules.d/52-nut-usbups.rules)
but it's not at all clear to me what, if anything, I'm supposed to do with
them, or how I cause udev to see them there and do its thing.

there's a document at http://fedoranews.org/contributors/kazutoshi_morioka/nut/
but it doesn't show how to do it with a USB device, only serial.

so I decided to move on and see if it could be made to work without
that understanding, using whatever I could figure out using the INSTALL
file that comes with NUT.

And that isn't geting me anywhere, so far.

If anyone out there has had success at setting up NUT on Centos 5 (or RHEL)
and can offer any advice, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks in advance!

            glorious presence without fault and with great joy--
     to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority,
  through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."