[CentOS] how to show that a filesystem is ACL-enabled?

Robert P. J. Day

rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Sep 16 12:10:26 UTC 2010

  currently reading the RHEL deployment guide and i have a short
question about ACLs that i can test on my centos 5.5 box.

  here:

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Deployment_Guide/ch-acls.html

the manual clearly claims that, in order to use ACLs on a filesystem,
that filesystem must be mounted with the "acl" mount option, and even
shows a sample /etc/fstab entry that represents that.

  however, i just verified that i can use setfacl to give my non-root
account read access to /etc/shadow so, clearly(?), the root filesystem
supports ACLs, but the mount entry for that filesystem in /etc/fstab
reads only "defaults" and, as i read it in the man page for "mount",
the "defaults" option is not listed as including the "acl" option.

  can someone clarify this?  is there a command that shows whether a
filesystem is currently acl-enabled?  and is the mount man page
simply incomplete in that respect?  thanks.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca