[CentOS] looking for cool, post-install things to do on a centos 5.5 system

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 15:32:12 UTC 2010

On 9/17/2010 10:12 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

>>> awk, awk! Perl's a day, minimum, by itself, but awk you can do in an
>>> hour or two, and have immediate results.
>>
>> But awk is a dead end that can't do a lot of things by itself.  And
>
> So, what's the longest awk scripts you've ever written, Mike? It works
> wonderfully well for what it was intended - and mostly, I use it for
> reports or data conversion.

Don't think I've ever written one from scratch, at least not since perl
was around because it was too painful to debug.  I agree that it works
fine when you copy someone else's already-debugged code.  I'm not
recommending never using awk, I just don't see the point of learning to
write it.

>> learning how to embed awk into other scripts is even more syntactically
>> obscure than just using perl in the first place.  Besides, perl's '-c'
>> check and debug facilities make it much more usable to beginners than
>> awk's propensity to find errors mid-run (and worse,
>> mid-some-other-script because you had to embed it).
>
> Misuse of awk.
>
>           mark "why, yes, I *have* written 100 and 200 line awk scripts to
>                  do data converstion and data validation"

But why, when very likely better versions of whatever you were doing
have already been written and debugged as CPAN perl modules?  Would you
do something like time parsing or format conversions in awk, or extract
mime attachment from a mail message?  Those sound simple but aren't and
in perl you only have to write a couple of lines yourself to do them.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com