[CentOS] looking for cool, post-install things to do on a centos 5.5 system

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Sep 17 19:34:58 UTC 2010

Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 03:18:23PM -0400, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Scott Robbins wrote:
<snip>

>> > And then, you can give them one of the more important Linux lessons.
>> > Let them install FreeNX, go to the website and see the completely
>> > outdated docmentation.  Learning how horrible so much of the
>> > documentation is, is probably an important part of being a Linux
>> > administrator.  FreeNX, fortunately, has a CentOS wiki article, so let
>> > them google for it.
>> >
>> > Not even being sarcastic here.  Lack of good docoumentation is
>> > probably one of the biggest challenges facing the Linux user or
administrator.

>> Hey, you're being easy on them. Have them install and configure
>> openLDAP, and find the documentation....
>
> Heh--well, since I've written my own page on it, it's gotten better. RH
> didn't help by making some undocumented changes, but once again, the
> CentOS folks got it documented.

I did have some notes, but dunno if I ever emailed 'em to myself from my
job in '06, but though it took me about a month, I managed to get it up,
with the help of a dozen or so links, after wading through dozens of
links, and lots of folks begging for help (and not getting any), and *way*
outdated stuff....

> I suspect LDAP documentation is one reason Active Directory became so
> popular.  (Feed the troll, I'm hungry.)   :)

Dunno. It was up there already. But then, M$$$ would make sure of that.

> (Although the part about LDAP documentation is not trolling, I think
> it's pretty much an accepted thing.  The Active Directory part was, of
> course, a troll.)

And their utterly inadequate tools.

         mark