[CentOS] looking for cool, post-install things to do on a centos 5.5 system

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 19:50:21 UTC 2010

On 9/17/2010 2:07 PM, Scott Robbins wrote:

>>>     hmmmm ... good idea.  or i might just add in VNC and carry over the
>>> freenx to an additional course dealing with networking/remote
>>> admin/etc.  thanks.
>>
>> I'd guess that for most people starting with linux, freenx with NX running on
>> their existing windows/mac would be a much better fit.  Maybe vmwware player or
>> virtualbox too.
>>

> And then, you can give them one of the more important Linux lessons.
> Let them install FreeNX, go to the website and see the completely
> outdated docmentation.  Learning how horrible so much of the
> documentation is, is probably an important part of being a Linux
> administrator.  FreeNX, fortunately, has a CentOS wiki article, so let
> them google for it.
>
> Not even being sarcastic here.  Lack of good docoumentation is probably
> one of the biggest challenges facing the Linux user or
> administrator.

I sort-of agree, but having a working display is the one thing you need
most in order to do anything else at all - and doing it via freenx often
lets you park your session on a fast remote server instead of the slow
inherited desktop you are likely to use for experimentation otherwise,
so I'd make an exception and do some handholding here. It's in epel now
so I'd get it from there via yum instead of the centos-testing version.
  And then you can ssh in to the server with putty or whatever client
you like to cat /etc/nxserver/client.id_dsa.key.  Copy/paste that into
the key dialog in your local NX config, save it and you are ready to go
faster than you can find the first page of incorrect details with
google.  And if you have more than one person doing it, they can share
the same box with user level logins and learn to coordinate their root
changes.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesel at gmail.com