[CentOS] looking for cool, post-install things to do on a centos 5.5 system

Kwan Lowe kwan.lowe at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 20:32:59 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 3:52 PM, Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com> wrote:
[snip]
> I've keyed configuration repositories to HOSTNAME before (and still do
> for very small installations), but over the long haul I've found
> the service-keyed repository more to my liking. In particular,
> cfengine makes it easy to work that way:
>
>   /etc/motd -> /r/systems/motd/motd.HOSTNAME
>   /etc/openldap/slapd.conf -> /r/services/openldap/slapd.conf.HOSTNAME

> One benefit of this method is that you can have a single file that
> works for a whole class of machines, e.g.,
>
>   /etc/syslog.conf -> /r/services/syslog/syslog.conf.client-linux
>
> where "client" becomes "server" for syslog servers and "linux"
> becomes "macosx" or "sunos" depending on the platform.
>
> As I said, however, a lot of that arrangement is a function of the way
> that cfengine works. I'd probably do it differently if I were using a
> different tool.

There is a benefit of a service centered view and may adopt it at some
point. I have used cfengine, and more recently, puppet and they do
lend themselves to that approach.  I am still looking to be able to
provision a system with minimal interaction *and* layer on an
identity.  However it's done though, I completely agree with your
original point that it needs be managed whether on 5 systems or 500.