[CentOS] Transferring system to new drive

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 22:09:40 UTC 2010

On 9/17/2010 4:52 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:

>>> I think the command rsync is a better approach for this task. It has
>>> much more features, for example, you can exclude certain files.
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> Thanks for all the responses.
>
> Further to my query,
> I'm wondering if one can safely copy partitions
> (in particular the root partition / )
> while the system is running.
>
> The reason that I ask is that I'm slightly afraid
> the machine will not re-boot into single-user mode
> with the present OS on the sick disk.

Theoretically you shouldn't, but I've never had a problem using rsync to
copy running machines - the same should apply to tar/cp/cpio, etc.   A
dd-style image copy would not be safe with the disk changing, though.

Be sure you exclude /proc, /sys, /dev.  And if you have trouble, you can
boot the system install disk in rescue mode to recover.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com