[CentOS] Issue with HP Officejet 6500 on CentOS 5.5

Mark mhullrich at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 18:44:41 UTC 2010

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 3:04 AM, Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> I found that their CentOS instructions were a bit off.  I have my own
> page on hplip for CentOS.  There's an rpmforge rpm as well, but using
> that one, I wasn't able to scan.
>
> http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/hplip.html

That was most helpful . . . but:

I followed your instructions to the letter and got this result after
the build, turning the 6500 on and having it plugged in:

[mar at marichter hplip-3.10.6]$ service cups status
cupsd (pid  3723) is running...

[mar at marichter hplip-3.10.6]$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000       <<< the 6500 should show up here
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 03f0:0205 Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 3300c  <<< my
old scanner
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 04f9:0033 Brother Industries, Ltd
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

[mar at marichter hplip-3.10.6]$ which hp-setup
/usr/bin/hp-setup

[mar at marichter hplip-3.10.6]$ hp-setup -i
warning: python-dbus not installed.   <<< AFAICT, there is no such package.

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.10.6)
Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 9.0

Copyright (c) 2001-9 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

(Note: Defaults for each question are maked with a '*'. Press <enter>
to accept the default.)

--------------------------------
| SELECT CONNECTION (I/O) TYPE |
--------------------------------

  Num       Connection  Description
            Type
  --------  ----------
  0*        usb         Universal Serial Bus (USB)
  1         net         Network/Ethernet/Wireless (direct connection
or JetDirect)

Enter number 0...1 for connection type (q=quit, enter=usb*) ? 0

Using connection type: usb

error: No device selected/specified or that supports this functionality.
[mar at marichter hplip-3.10.6]$ yg python-dbus

(alias yg='yum list | grep -i')

I have selinux disabled.

I was able to plug the 6500 into my son's WinXP box and it worked
there, but I'd SO much rather use xsane than the scanner's control
panel - it's god-awfully slow, and windows takes almost as long as the
scan process itself to finish processing the PDF, and I don't get the
individua page images from multipage scans (like xsane provides).

I used the same USB cable for both host connections, and I've switched
connections on my host between the two open USB ports and neither one
works (although they work just fine for all my other
semi-permanently-attached USB devices, mainly my Brother laser printer
and the old HP Scanjet (and the HP Officejet that broke - it still
recognizes that when it's plugged in, but the scanner refuses to
work).

Any other ideas?  What am I missing?

TIA.
Mark