[CentOS] Need Help

Mwango Mutale

fmutale02 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 21 13:04:49 UTC 2010

Dear Sir,

I have been struggling to get bold letters in informix for CentoS 4.8 and I came
across your article on PCL Command Sequences and I felt you could help.

I have the following declarations and print command in my informix-4gl but
things don't seem to get right.

         BoldOn               CHAR(6),
         BoldOff              CHAR(6)

      ----LET BoldOn = ASCII  27, ASCII '&040', ASCII '&115', ASCII '&052',
ASCII  '&066'
      ----LET BoldOff = ASCII 27, ASCII  '&040', ASCII '&115', ASCII '&048',
ASCII '&066'

      LET BoldOn = ASCII 27,"(s4B"
      LET BoldOff = ASCII 27,"(s0B"

      PRINT COLUMN 1, BoldOn CLIPPED, " ", "TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN", BoldOff,
            COLUMN 54, BoldOn CLIPPED, " ", "Ref: ", BoldOff CLIPPED, r_refno

    PRINT COLUMN 1, BoldOn CLIPPED, " ", "This is to certify that: ", BoldOff,
r_surname, " ", r_firstname

and this what I am getting:

    ^[(s4B TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN^[(s0B                    ^[(s4B Ref: ^[(s0B
9844510
    ^[(s4B This is to certify that: ^[(s0B NAMONJE          CAROL
    ^[(s4B is a registered student of the National Institute of Public
Administration^[(s0B

We have HP LaserJet P3005 and P3015 Printers.

How can I avoid printing these charaters and instead print Bold letters ? Are
there any settings I need to do in Environmental variables or CUPS settings ?

Your help will highly be appreciated.

Felix Mwango Mutale