[CentOS] Configuring BIND to answer to two domain names (four IP addresses)

Dotan Cohen

dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 17:08:12 UTC 2010

On a CentOS 5 server, I am having a hard time configuring BIND to
answer to 4 IP addresses for 2 domain names.

Currently, I have four IP addresses, for sake of discussion they are:
1.1.1.1
1.1.1.2
1.1.1.3
1.1.1.4

Additionally, I have two domain names. For sake of discussion:
exampleA.com
exampleB.com

My goal is to have 1.1.1.1 & 1.1.1.2 as the nameservers for
exampleA.com, and 1.1.1.3 & 1.1.1.4 as the nameservers for
exampleB.com. Apache is running on this machine, and should of course
serve pages for the sites.

I think that I've got the apache configuration down, but the BIND
configuration is eluding me. I've read the following fine manual, but
I am still stuck:
http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Deployment_Guide-en-US/ch-bind.html

Additionally, I have googled for "how to configure bind for multiple
domain names" and the like, but I see no mention of the IP addresses
configuration. Can I simply configure any IP address that the server
answers to as the nameservers? What am I missing?

Thank you in advance!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il