[CentOS] Raid 10 questions...2 drive

Ross Walker rswwalker at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 21:09:39 UTC 2010

On Sep 25, 2010, at 4:15 PM, Miguel Medalha <miguelmedalha at sapo.pt> wrote:

>> Mdraid10 actually allows for a 3 drive raid10 set. It isn't raid10 per say but a raid level based on distributing copies of chunks around the spindles for redundancy.
>
> Isn't this what they call RAID 1e (RAID 1 Enhanced), which needs a minimum of 3 drives?
>
> This seems to me a much better name for it than calling it "RAID 10"...

The raid1e type probably didn't exist when Neil Brown came up with the algorithm.

He should have patented it though...

Maybe he started out with the idea to create a raid10, but didn't want the complexity of managing sub-arrays so decided just to redistribute chunk copies instead and then it took off from there.

-Ross