[CentOS] [Slightly OT] "Open Source Development + Tools" - Book/Resource?

Tim Nelson

tnelson at rockbochs.com
Mon Sep 27 19:56:29 UTC 2010

Greetings all-

My apologies for the slightly OT post. My primary production platform *IS* CentOS 5.x with a minor scattering of 4.x machines behind firewalls here and there...

I find that I'm being placed more and more into a 'quasi-developer' role which strays some from my normal system/network admin duties. Specifically, having to work with the deep internals of make, autoconf, libtool, cross platform compilation, non-standard libs, etc. My head spins some days trying to work through some of these types of issues.

I'm hoping someone knows of a good resource or book that explains the general 'open source' or '*NIX' method of application development, compilation, and dependency/library handling. Specifically, how to take source, and turn it into a "./configure, make, make install" type release and everything that is involved in doing so.

I certainly have experience compiling, installing, using software in this manner, but I would like (need?) to learn more about how it all works.

Google has been helpful if I'm looking for direct documentation of each of the standard tools (gcc, make, autoconf, libtool, etc), but I've been unable to find something that details the components together, and explains their relationship.

Again, my apologies for the OT post. I hope some bright minds on the list can shed a few thoughts.

--Tim