[CentOS] RAID rebuild time and disk utilization....

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Sep 28 04:40:49 UTC 2010

  On 09/27/10 7:49 PM, Tom Bishop wrote:
> How do I figure out if it's a 4k sector drive, I've read about that
> but never looked into it...is there any way to tell, and when you mean
> start my partition, I only have one large partition, since this is
> just for my data files....so you mean I should start on 2048 and go up
> from there???  Thanks in advance...going to do some more reading...

a lot of new drives are using 4K byte sectors internally for various
technical reasons.  they pretend they have 512 byte sectors externally
for compatibility

by default, the first few blocks of the disk is the MBR, then the first
partition starts right after that.   if you dont do anything special
about this, odds are, 'right after that' is not on a 4K boundary.  you
need to 'trim' the start position of the each partition so its on a 4K
boundary.