[CentOS] netstat - kill by pid ?

Carlos S

neubyr at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 16:14:23 UTC 2010

I am writing a small script to kill process(es) listening on
particular port number. Here I am particularly looking at Java
servlet-containers like Tomcat and JBoss, which sometimes don't
complete their shutdown process and it still shows up as running
process with ps or netstat. This needs to be kill-ed and for that
knowing pid of that process is necessary. The netstat by default
doesn't give only pid(s), so one has to use sed/awk/tr like utility to
extract pid info. Does anyone know any program/utility which gives
pid(s) based on listening port numbers? Or is there any option in
netstat that I am missing?

Thanks,
CS.