[CentOS] ethtool

Stephen Harris lists at spuddy.org
Tue Sep 28 15:58:22 EDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 03:51:17PM -0400, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> We've just moved one a new server from our sever room, where I built it,
> to the datacenter. We want to force autoneg off, and tell it gigabit and
> full duplex. Using ethtool, I get no errors setting the speed or duplex.

Note that the gigabit over copper standard _requires_ autoneg on.  If you
do manage to turn it off then you might break things unexpectedly.

   In 1999, the negotiation protocol was significantly extended by
   IEEE 802.3ab, which specified the protocol for gigabit Ethernet,
   making autonegotiation mandatory for 1000BASE-T gigabit Ethernet over
   copper. Specifically Section 28D.5 Extensions required for Clause40