[CentOS] Forbidden: can't access *.html files in /var/www/html

Rob Del Vecchio rob.delvecchio at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 14:52:26 UTC 2010

> Now I'm struggling with the seemingly simple problem

Sometimes simple problems have simple solutions!

For example:
> # ls -al Alex.html index.php hello-world.php
> -r--r--r-- 1 root    root     599 Sep 29 15:49 Alex.html
> -rw-r--r-- 1 afarber afarber   33 Jul 29 11:32 hello-world.php
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root    root    5631 Jun 27 09:38 index.php

Why is Alex.html only readable and the php files readable *and* writable?
 Did you try making the php files *only readable* and see what happens?

This may not be relevant to the problem, but I have observed in Ubuntu that
the apache server by default likes to make files it serves executable.  Not
sure why, just a simple observation.

Hope this helps,
Rob