[CentOS] Forbidden: can't access *.html files in /var/www/html

Alexander Farber alexander.farber at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 15:40:22 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 5:29 PM, Simon Billis <simon at houxou.com> wrote:
> Can you show the output of ls -laZ please? This will show the selinux
> context information for the files - the error is usually to do with the
> context of the files.

Hello and thanks for your reply. The SELinux stuff is new for me.

Yes I have moved that Alex.html from my home dir and (the 1st one fails):

# ls -laZ /var/www/html/Alex.html
-r--r--r--  root root system_u:object_r:user_home_t    /var/www/html/Alex.html

# ls -laZ /var/www/html/test/Alex.html
-r--r--r--  root root user_u:object_r:httpd_sys_content_t
/var/www/html/test/Alex.html

# ls -laZ /var/www/html/index.php
-rw-r--r--  root root user_u:object_r:httpd_sys_content_t
/var/www/html/index.php

# ls -laZ /var/www/html/hello-world.php
-rw-r--r--  afarber afarber user_u:object_r:httpd_sys_content_t
/var/www/html/hello-world.php

I'm using http, not https. And /usr/sbin/getenforce prints "Enforcing".

I didn't know that there were additional attributes for the files.
And I don't know how to stop/start SELinux
(it is not a service in /etc/init.d, right?)
but I'd like to keep SELinux running, since all other
programs I've listed seem to cope okay with it.

Regards
Alex