[CentOS] HP ML110 G6: how to update kernel with HP hpahcisr raid driver installed

Dario Lesca d.lesca at solinos.it
Thu Sep 30 05:26:32 EDT 2010

I have install Centos 5.5 on HP ProLiant ML110 G6
with RAID-1 hardware active.

(00:1f.2 RAID bus controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset SATA RAID Controller (rev 05))

I have follow this suggest:

... start with "linux dd" and, at the end of setup,
install the hpahcisr into kernel 2.6.18-194.el5PAE

But after reboot if I run a "yum update" and reboot, the new kernel not
contain the driver hpahcisr for new kernel and I get a kernel panic.

The question is:

How to update to last kernel without lost the proprietary driver?

It's possible?

Where is the new driver for new kernel?

Many thanks.

Dario Lesca <d.lesca at solinos.it>