[CentOS] vgrename, lvrename

Sat Sep 11 19:45:55 UTC 2010
drew einhorn <drew.einhorn at gmail.com>

Hi,

I want to rename some volume groups and logical volumes.

I was not surprised when it would not let me rename active volumes.

So I booted up the system using the CentOS 5.5 LiveCD,
but the LiveCD makes the logical volumes browsable using Nautilus,
so they are still active and I can't rename them.

Tried:

/usr/sbin/lvchange -a n VolGroup00/LogVol00

but it still says:

   LV VolGroup00/LogVol00 in use: not deactivating

Did some googling and found out that other folks have had
problems with mkinitrd, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

Made a wild guess and killed my nautilus process, a lot of stuff
disappeared from the desktop, then reappeared along with a new
nautilus process.

Still googling, but haven't found anything useful so far.

Any idea?
--
Drew Einhorn

"You can see a lot by just looking."