[CentOS] how long to reboot server ?

Fri Sep 3 17:17:37 UTC 2010
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 9/3/2010 12:09 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Friday, September 03, 2010 16:23:31 Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> Yes, considering the number of *.ko modules that are built
>>> against a particular kernel version :)
>>
>> Don't they get their own directory that you can preserve in a copy?
>> I've never had yum remove the running kernel, so never had to deal with
>> it, but always assumed that you'd be able to boot the install disk in
>> rescue mode, let it mount the filesystems, chroot, and then be able to
>> tell yum to install the kernel version you need.  Shouldn't that work?
>
> AFAIK yum never removes the currently running kernel, at least not in default
> configuration.

Does anyone know if this is special-cased or some config setting?  I
recall in FC5 having a an IBM 225 that ran OK with the initial kernels
but at some update would not boot the new one and many subsequent
versions. I think there were more failing kernels than the number
configured to keep but I was always able to recover by selecting the old
working version in the grub boot menu so it looked like it was a special
case.  Eventually I did a bios update on the machine which let the new
kernels run but broke the older ones.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com