[CentOS] Update to base release

Tue Sep 7 16:33:30 UTC 2010
Greg Bailey <gbailey at lxpro.com>

John Kennedy wrote:
> Hello All,
> We have some machines running CentOS 4 Update 4 (4.4). We want to
> update these boxes to the stock CentOS 4 Update 8 (4.8).
> We have the 4.8 iso images. Is it possible to use up2date and have it
> use the 4.8 mounted iso images on a remote (install) server as the
> repository? The ISO's are accessible through http. These servers are
> remote with no CD/DVD option to upgrade that way.
> I have tried to Google this but can't seem to quite hit what I need. I
> found one that shows up2date-config GUI setup but I do not have X
> running on this server and do not want to screw up the config with the
> CLI version of it.
> We need to  go to stock versions to match our production RHEL 4.8
> machines.
> Thanks,
> John
> --
>  John Kennedy

Check to see if you have the following file on your system:

/etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Media.repo

If you do, then just loopback mount the DVD image under /media/cdrom or
/media/cdrecorder, and then use the yum command as described in that
repo file:

yum --disablerepo=\* --enablerepo=c4-media [command]

Not sure if that works with "up2date" or not... haven't used up2date in
a long time...

-Greg