[CentOS] looking for cool, post-install things to do on a centos 5.5 system

Fri Sep 17 18:09:25 UTC 2010
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 9/17/2010 12:45 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

>> I don't get it.  Why wouldn't you just talk to the db directly with
>> perl's dbi/dbd, replacing both the awk and C parts?  I do that all the
>> time.  Or was that before dbi - or the dbd you needed?
>
> Mike, you really aren't reading all of what I wrote. Perl itself wasn't
> available in '91-'92.

I think you are mistaken about that.  "Programming Perl", covering
version 4 of perl was published in 1991.  Check the printing history if
you have a newer copy.  Perl itself goes back to 1987 or so. I'm pretty
sure I wrote things in version 1 downloaded through usenet.  Not sure
when dbi/dbd came around but before that there were things like oraperl
with specific database clients grafted in.

I'll grant the historical value of awk for the prior decade and for the
conceptual introduction of hash arrays for scripting languages, though.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com