[CentOS] slightly OT: dban

Sat Sep 18 12:48:39 UTC 2010
Drew <drew.kay at gmail.com>

> This command will take forever and ever and ever (reads against /dev/random
> blocks as the kernel runs out of entropy). /dev/urandom would be better but
> still not very fast.

I recently came across a replacement for /dev/urandom called frandom
that the author claims is 10x faster on i686 hardware. Based on my own
tests within a VMware Player VM, frandom can generate 150MB/s when
piped to /dev/null. Tests on writing to disk were a modest 50MB/s
which is about all what my laptop's disk can handle.

--
Drew

--Marie Curie