[CentOS] looking for cool, post-install things to do on a centos 5.5 system

Sat Sep 18 13:23:48 UTC 2010
Keith Roberts <keith at karsites.net>

On Sat, 18 Sep 2010, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> From: Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] looking for cool,
>     post-install things to do on a centos 5.5 system
>

>  i'm not ignoring all of the suggestions so far (i'm taking note of
> all of them) but as rp herrold suggests, a lot of this is getting
> pretty far afield, so let me drag this back on-topic.
>
>  i'm looking for cool things that can be added into a very generic
> 5-day course in basic RHEL (centos) administration that wouldn't
> normally be covered.  i've provided the outline on which the 3rd party
> courseware is based -- it was written to mimic red hat's RH 131
> course:
>
> https://www.redhat.com/courses/rh131_red_hat_linux_system_administration/
>
> so you can see what's already there, and i'm after cool tips, tricks
> and utilities that people who are long-time RHEL/centos admins have
> learned that they think are terrifically useful that i can sneak in as
> bonus content.
>
>  the caveat is that i don't want to add topics that would take longer
> than, say, a half day since i can always take a topic like that,
> extend it to a full-day course, and market it *separately*.
>
>  case in point:  virtualization.  the course already covers
> virtualization *very* briefly and i don't want to make that section
> any longer since i can easily see having a full-day course on that
> topic.
>
>  *possibly* the same thing with puppet or cfengine (both excellent
> suggestions).  i'm thinking of at least demoing one or both and,
> depending on the interest, perhaps suggesting a full day course in
> enterprise-wide administration.
>
>  anyway, i appreciate all of the ideas so far, and i'm definitely
> going to use some of them.  thanks muchly.
>
> rday
>
> p.s.  one stupendously trivial idea i had was to give each student a
> cheap USB drive and use that as the vehicle for playing with
> filesystem utilities.  with an $8 2G drive, i can demonstrate concepts
> like hotplugging, udev, LVM and so on, knowing i'll never risk the
> contents of the hard drive.

What about showing them how to use the GParted Live CD. They
can practice partitioning the USB drive, which comes up as
/dev/sd???

As far as Linux is concerned, a USB drive is just another
block device like /dev/sda

HTH

Keith

Websites: