[CentOS] GRUB woes: GRUB Hard Disk Error

Sun Sep 19 20:57:31 UTC 2010
Keith Roberts <keith at karsites.net>

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010, Rob Del Vecchio wrote:

> To: centos at centos.org
> From: Rob Del Vecchio <rob.delvecchio at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] GRUB woes: GRUB Hard Disk Error
>
> Update: on a hunch, I tried installing Ubuntu Server.  Interestingly, the
> GRUB installation failed during setup, however the LILO installation
> completed successfully, the Ubuntu installation boots correctly.
>
> For me, the whole reason to start using CentOS was to move away from Ubuntu.
> I could do 3 things:
> Try to install grub under Ubuntu and then use this
> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/InstallFromGRUB as a guide, or
>
> Something like this:  The above except using LILO, or
>
> Try to install the LILO boot loader after a CentOS installation; in rescue
> mode.
>

> Better ideas or suggestions?
>
> TIA
>
> Rob

Well I'd wipe the drive clean using Gparted with a cross
format. Do a minimal kickstart installation to install GRUB
on the MBR.

Prior to that make sure the BIOS settings are OK for the
SATA drive.

That shouldn't take to long.

HTH

Keith