[CentOS] CentOS, Firefox, and Java Plugin

Thu Sep 23 15:47:42 UTC 2010
Glenn Eychaner <geychaner at mac.com>

On Sep 22, 2010, at 11:22 PM, Glenn Eychaner wrote:

> The latest updates to CentOS 5.5 seem to have broken the Java plugin,
> and have defeated any and all attempts to get it working again.
> I'm running CentOS 5.5 (32-bit) and Firefox 3.6.9 (installed from the
> CentOS repository); I've tried BOTH the openJDK plugin available
> through the Argeo repositories, and installing Java 1.6.0 directly
> from Sun/Oracle and creating the plugin soft link in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins.
> Neither works at all.

Thanks to everyone for their help.  It turns out that I had two problems:
1) The page that you get redirected to by the Firefox plugin finder links
to these (incorrect) install instructions:
	http://java.com/en/download/help/linux_install.xml#rpm
The correct install instructions can be found at Oracle's website:
	http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/install-linux-rpm-137089.html
2) I was using the Argeo-Plus plugin (32-bit), which appears to be broken.
Mathieu, if you get it working again, I'd be happy to use it, but if not, I understand.
I was aware that the location had changed (serendipitously), and have the latest
version (I've since rolled everything to the Oracle/Sun plugin).

Thanks all,
-G.
--
Glenn Eychaner (geychaner at lco.cl)
Telescope Systems Programmer, Las Campanas Observatory