[CentOS] cobbler installation of CentOS-5.5

Timothy Murphy

gayleard at eircom.net
Sat Apr 2 00:46:55 UTC 2011

Timothy Murphy wrote:

> I'm trying to install CentOS-5.5 on my new HP micro-server,
> which has no CD drive.
>
> I've set up cobbler and cobbler-web on my old server,
> and can access cobbler-web from my laptop.

Just to end the story.
Having found the DVD ISO with the help of this newsgroup,
I installed CentOS-5.5 on my HP micro-server
using cobbler, with no trouble at all.

But I was surprised to find that this had deleted the partitioning
which I had carefully installed with Fedora Live CD on a USB stick,
and assigned the whole disk to LVM.

I looked on the web to see how I could modify ks.cfg
to make a partition of my own choice,
but decided after a brief study that life is too short
to spend on the intricacies of kickstart.

So I have given up cobbler, and will try the netinstall CD next,
installing it on a USB stick.
If that doesn't work I shall put the CentOS Live CD on a stick,
and install that on the hard disk.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net