[CentOS] Door not hitting me on my way out

Mister IT Guru misteritguru at gmx.com
Mon Apr 4 11:25:06 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-04-02 at 10:31 +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Apr 2011, John R Pierce wrote:
>
> > On 04/01/11 6:54 PM, Digimer wrote:
> >
> >> I would not fault someone for "moving on", but I would when said person
> >> does so in a manner that only leads to unhelpful drama.
> >
> > yeah, seriously.  call the WHAAAAAHmbulance.
>
> I don't see how this is helpful either. But that's the problem, there's
> no way anyone can help the releases moving forward... Good luck waiting :)

Okay, so Nico is a bit upset. I can't say I blame him - But he did raise
a point and make me think about something. Now, if I'm wrong, flame the
crap out of me, I have very good filter-foo !

The one thing I would love to be able to contribute my time to is
helping test new code, and get it out the door so guys on the street can
test it out.

Maybe it's my curiosity, but my brain tells me that Fedora is the
forerunner for RHEL. And the Fedora code is out there. CentOS is built
from the RHEL code, with all RHEL specific items removed. Ergo - If I
replicate the build environment on some of my machines, (KVM and XEN
both running riot all over my systems, but not doing anything useful for
me! :( ), then surley I should be able to get some postive results, and
be able to contrib that back to the guys upstream.

That's what my brain tells me. I don't mind running build environments,
or test environments or whatever - I guess what I'm saying is GIMME SOME
OF YOUR WORKLOAD!!

Or at least make it easy for other bored sysads to help you out. All
this spare processing power and capable guys and girls eager to support
our distro of choice to get the best bleeding edge stable code. It's
almost like following a football team! How DARE debian get ahead of us!
Gentoo!? Who the bleeding hell do you think you are!? Don't you know
CENTOS is in the HOUSE!?

*calms down*
Excuse my excitement. I could edit this email before I hit send, but
then you guys wouldn't really know how I feel towards CentOS. How can
the average guy get involved with testing, can we build the same
environments as you guys? Do you have a standard way of operating that
maybe some of us could learn, and contribute? Is it out there already
out there and documented? How can we get our hands dirty?