[CentOS] sshd: Authentication Failures: 137 Time(s)

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Tue Apr 5 18:01:21 UTC 2011

rrichard at blythe.org wrote:
> Indeed! I run
> Fail2Ban not only against SSH, but against SMTP/AUTH and IMAPS/POP3S (the
> only client mail protocols we support). It's amazing how many dictionary
> attacks take place against SMTP by persistent spamers! Besides the effect
> against dictionary attacks, it makes the morning reading of the secure log
> a pleasant experience. :-)

My SMTP server has Reverse DNS check active, so any SMTP request from IP
  that does not have Reverse DNS record is automatically forbidden. Even
SMTP servers tht are not properly configured  (like one Bank server in
my country that sends mails from some obscure IP without DNS record even
thou I know they are legit) are denied.

fail2ban had some wrong with it, from the standpoint of my CentOS 5.x
server (can't remember what I disliked), wheather it was rpm
availability or something else, so I chose denyhosts. There was whole
week recently without a single ssh attack on my 3 PC's (2 servers).

Ljubomir