[CentOS] Understanding yum automatic upgrades

email builder emailbuilder88 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 5 22:14:16 UTC 2011

>   Sorry if this is somewhat naive, but I'm a little confused  as to what the

> criteria is for that which will get upgraded automatically by  yum and what
>will
>
> not.
>
>   I see in our logwatch messages from  time to time that yum upgraded a bunch
>of
>
> stuff, but I also notice that yum  will not upgrade other packages at all (easy
>
> example is clamav, but there  are others).
>
>   Can someone explain or point me to where I can read  about the distinction
> between what is and is not subjected to automatic  upgrade?

More info: yum-updatesd is running and I do not have yum-cron.  yum-updatesd
does a fine job from what I can tell, but I still cannot understand what
criteria it applies to know which packages get upgraded and which do not.  (?)

The yum-updatesd configuration file is ultra-simple, so that doesn't seem to be
where the update choice/distinction is being made.

There seem to be people posting in various places that they prefer to use
yum-cron, but I have no problems with yum-updatesd and I suspect yum-cron
wouldn't address/answer my question anyway.

Help?